Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Rice

I have heard of wheat allergy or wheat intolerance because one of my aunt has it. Every food that she ates which are wheat based, she will vomit and down with cold sweat. So, everything like cakes, cookies, biscuits or even soya sauce will make her sick.

In my case its rice. I will get abdominal pain if I ate rice everyday. It happens when I was small, around the age of 7, I think. When the paddy has been harvest and sent to the mills. We have new rice and everyone was happy, except me. When I ate the rice I felt sick, it worries my grandparents. So, they the tried giving me the "beras lama" (rice harvested a year back) and I was a bit better but still have the abdominal pain. What I think is that the new rice has triggered my intolerance towards rice more. I do have abdominal pain when I was in preschool, I'll be missing class for weeks and loose weight. I guess no one really knows whats happening to me that time and I continue eating rice till 2001. I went to see a physician about my abdominal pain and the doctor told me I have IBS. So, I've stopped taking rice at that time (2001) and slowly the pain disappeared.

In 2005 thinking that the pain has gone forever I started on eating rice again, then felt sick and the pain is getting worse. It was a torture living in KL the last two years because the only food available in the cafeteria is rice and I don't eat noodles(yuck!). My diet was hay wired and it really has taken its toll on me.

Last weekend I decided to stop eating rice and I am feeling much better. Now my diet consisted of bread, spaghetti noodles, any wheat product or oatmeal. But not instant noodles :) .

Here's a couple site for wheat allergy and wheat intolerance:

http://www.fabflour.co.uk/news/1/23/wheat-allergy-and-intolerance--the-facts.html

http://www.celiac.com/articles/75/1/Extract-from-Nutrition-Therapy-by-Stephen-J-Gislason-MD/Page1.html

No comments:

All contents from this site Copyright © by Lynn, none are to be publish or copied without prior consent from the author.