24th September 2004, that’s the day my beloved grandpa died. It was a tough time for me then since I just had my operation and having my finals. Yesterday was my first time visiting grandpa’s grave since he was laid-in to rest. I was not around for the past few years; I missed the 1st, 2nd and 3rd anniversary, I was in Western Australia studying Bachelor of Molecular Biotechnology at Curtin University, get married and moved to KL. Only came back here to Kota Kinabalu last December. So, this year I made a point to visit grandpa’s grave.
I miss my grandpa so much, I dreamt about him all the time since I was somehow attached to my grandpa. Back then when I was little he used to buy things for me whenever I get good results in school, during my birthdays, and Christmas. I still remember that when I get good result in my PMR (Penilaian Menengah Rendah), I was awarded money for each A’s I have and nothing for C’s, of course there isn’t any C’s. I was awed when he bought me a jewelry set for my birthday, just because I told him that it was my birthday and no one remembers it at that time. Nope, I’m not spoiled. I only get things when I have good results or on certain occasions, I have no privileges like other kids, who gets everything they want by just asking even though they have very bad results. That’s why the reason sometimes that I think these kids really doesn’t know how to appreciate. The worse thing that I ever heard was that when the kid asked their father “Where’s my money, have you bank in my money yet?” Come on, you’re even not working. You should say “Can you give me some money.” And yes, I am not going to give anymore money to help ungrateful kid, just because the idiot mother is a miser(but spent on useless things) and taught the daughter to lie about money.
Grandpa was a humble and quite man but when he’s angry don’t even think about talking to him. He was very good with his hands too; he built the house that we lived in during that time with a couple of his friends. I think I get that little trait from him, being good with hands. I was told by my mum that grandpa did not finish his studies, although he was smart. It was funny when mum told me that when grandpa was a kid, he was doing really well in school and was a head of the other students in his class and he was asked to move to primary 3, he was in primary 1 at that time. But he refused. That’s was not why he stopped schooling, he stopped schooling because his class teacher rotan him (whip him with a ruler) on his knuckles. Now who wouldn’t be scared of such incident? I think grandpa was traumatized, so he told his father that he doesn’t want to go to school anymore. And his father agreed to his son request (considering he’s the only son, while the other 5 children are girls) and grandpa spent his time daily doing kerja kampung (daily life as a farmer and buffalo shepherd?). It seems funny to us but if you were him, what will you do at his age. But I think these days, no more rotan the school children right? Punishment and detention, maybe.
Yesterday was grandpa’s 4th anniversary and I managed to find a grass cutter on the way to the place, to clean the area, it has been a long time and the place were covered with trees, bushes and grass that has not been cut for ages. It took the grass cutter a couple of hours to clean up the place. In the late afternoon I sent some flowers for grandpa and grandma; carnations and pom-poms (that’s what the lady selling the flowers calls it). Grandma died 8 years before grandpa.
May they souls rest in peace.
I miss my grandpa so much, I dreamt about him all the time since I was somehow attached to my grandpa. Back then when I was little he used to buy things for me whenever I get good results in school, during my birthdays, and Christmas. I still remember that when I get good result in my PMR (Penilaian Menengah Rendah), I was awarded money for each A’s I have and nothing for C’s, of course there isn’t any C’s. I was awed when he bought me a jewelry set for my birthday, just because I told him that it was my birthday and no one remembers it at that time. Nope, I’m not spoiled. I only get things when I have good results or on certain occasions, I have no privileges like other kids, who gets everything they want by just asking even though they have very bad results. That’s why the reason sometimes that I think these kids really doesn’t know how to appreciate. The worse thing that I ever heard was that when the kid asked their father “Where’s my money, have you bank in my money yet?” Come on, you’re even not working. You should say “Can you give me some money.” And yes, I am not going to give anymore money to help ungrateful kid, just because the idiot mother is a miser(but spent on useless things) and taught the daughter to lie about money.
Grandpa was a humble and quite man but when he’s angry don’t even think about talking to him. He was very good with his hands too; he built the house that we lived in during that time with a couple of his friends. I think I get that little trait from him, being good with hands. I was told by my mum that grandpa did not finish his studies, although he was smart. It was funny when mum told me that when grandpa was a kid, he was doing really well in school and was a head of the other students in his class and he was asked to move to primary 3, he was in primary 1 at that time. But he refused. That’s was not why he stopped schooling, he stopped schooling because his class teacher rotan him (whip him with a ruler) on his knuckles. Now who wouldn’t be scared of such incident? I think grandpa was traumatized, so he told his father that he doesn’t want to go to school anymore. And his father agreed to his son request (considering he’s the only son, while the other 5 children are girls) and grandpa spent his time daily doing kerja kampung (daily life as a farmer and buffalo shepherd?). It seems funny to us but if you were him, what will you do at his age. But I think these days, no more rotan the school children right? Punishment and detention, maybe.
Yesterday was grandpa’s 4th anniversary and I managed to find a grass cutter on the way to the place, to clean the area, it has been a long time and the place were covered with trees, bushes and grass that has not been cut for ages. It took the grass cutter a couple of hours to clean up the place. In the late afternoon I sent some flowers for grandpa and grandma; carnations and pom-poms (that’s what the lady selling the flowers calls it). Grandma died 8 years before grandpa.
May they souls rest in peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment